Translate

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Why we do it.....

Yesterday was one of the most exciting days I'd had in a long time as a photographer. I had been thrashing out ideas and spider diagrams for two days trying to write a story, trying to isolate a theme, trying to make a coherent film and I was struggling. There was too much I wanted to put in, too many stories I wanted to tell and I couldn't think of a way of stitching them all together so that it would make sense, not only to the viewer, but to me!
The start of my research.
I took a break that evening to do a night shoot for a poster I'm making for a local American Football team that are starting up. I began planning for it and waited for it to get dark so I could begin shooting. I decided to take a shower first and as I was sensually running my fingers through my hair, it came to me! Let me take you back to the start and where this all began.

One of the images for my photo essay.
Around a month ago I decided I wanted to make a film, but not just any old film I wanted to do something that was important to me and that would connect with millions of people. I knew it had to be a factual film as I am no script writer and I don't have the budget to make any sort of blockbuster, so I decided that my subject was going to be passion and emotion in sport. I had used this as my subject for my photo essay when I went through training at RAF Cosford and it was something I was passionate about not only as a fan, but as a photographer as well. With ideas bubbling in my mind I knew I had to begin writing sooner rather than later! Then about two weeks ago I came into contact with a wonderful women on Twitter called Loretta Livingstone. She had tweeted me about some pictures I had posted about the Great British Bobsleigh team and when ever someone tweets me or comes into contact with me on social media, I like to check out their profiles, one to see how they found me so I can use it to expand further and two to check they aren't spammers. So I checked out Loretta's profile. Turns out Loretta is a very talented poet and she has written several books two of which called "Hopes, Dreams & Medals" and "Ice & Fire - The Passion and Fun of Winter Sports", sounded perfect for research reading for my film. So I approached Loretta to get a copy and a week later (thanks to military mail) my book arrived.
During the bank holiday I set about getting stuck into my research and reading. I was making
spider diagrams, writing down buzzwords and reading psychology papers. None of it was helping. I felt that I was getting away from the reason why I was doing this project, the way sport makes us feel. So I decided to do some research into myself and watched the main sporting events of the weekend. The Monaco Grand Prix with its grandeur and speed, it's history and danger and the drivers you love and hate. The edge of your seat start, will everyone make it
My new "think tank"
through the first corner? Will there be crashes? The uncertainty of the re-starts and the audacious over taking attempts. I watched the Champions League final with two teams I do not support, yet I still invested so much into the game. Dortmund the underdogs versus Bayern the German powerhouses! The excitement of the end to end stretched football, last ditch tackles, penalty equalisers and that late winner by a vanquished hero. This is why I wanted to make this film, because of the way sport made me feel!

I began to read Loretta's book and immediately pulled out two poems which I thought would be perfect for a segment of the film, which I had put down for the RAF Luge team. However I still didn't have a clue where to start or finish it, or where on earth I was going, until I stepped into the shower and all became clear. I can't make a film on sporting passions and emotions because you cannot rationalise them. Why do we invest so much in sport? Because we love it, the thrill of competition the underdog stories, the triumphs and the falls! The film I wanted to make was a short, powerful film that encapsulated all of that and I would love Loretta to write a poem to narrate it! 
Loretta's book with my pointless research
I tweeted her late that night with the proposal, not expecting a reply or anything close to a draft for a day or two, but when she tweeted me the next morning saying she had something I was blown away! Already? This I have to hear! She phoned me up and asked to read it down the phone to which I of course agreed. She began reading and immediately I was hooked! This is amazing! She finished reading and I took a look at my hand, I was shaking. Shaking with genuine excitement, I could picture every scene, imagine every shot it was perfect! I cannot wait to get started!

Now the work can begin, once Loretta has the poem copyrighted and she is happy, I will begin storyboarding the film and begin shooting and that is where YOU come in! Are you a budding athlete or a professional athlete? Are you a die hard sports fan that goes to every game? I want to hear from you! It's for people like you that I am making this film because we love sport! 



I will be keeping you updated on the films progress through my blog, Facebook and Twitter accounts as well as my Google+ so keep it here to find out the latest.
Also please please please go and like Loretta's Facebook page, follow her on Twitter and buy her books at the links below.

Thank you

#whydowedoit     

Treasure chest books - www.treasurechestbooks.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment