Translate

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Dambusters 70


On the 17th May 1943, 11 Lancaster Bombers returned to Royal Air Force (RAF) Scampton in Lincolnshire after successfully completing Operation Chastise, the bombing of the Eder, Mohne and Sorpe Dams in Germany. 9 Lancaster aircraft and their 56 crew did not, 53 of which were killed.
This week marked the 70th anniversary of the “Dambuster” raids led by Wing Commander Guy Gibson. I have been heavily involved in this week’s commemorative flypasts by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) from the media side which has been an honour and a pleasure. I have seen some amazing imagery come in from my colleagues and edited some awe inspiring footage. Amongst it all though, I have been able to capture some pictures of my own.
Before this week, I had been very dubious of phone photography. I didn’t want to do it as I saw it as a threat to professional photographers and thought it wasn’t very good. I said in an earlier post on this blog that I had got the “instagram” app and this week it has proven to me how valuable my iPhone is as a camera. Due to the fact I am recovering from a dislocated shoulder, I can’t carry around the large professional cameras we usually use, so I am restricted to my iPhone and instagram, but I could not be more pleased with the results.
I have attached a selection from this week, telling the story from my perspective, waiting and seeing home the Lancaster from her flypasts, going on board and collecting equipment and remembering our fallen heroes. I hope I have done their memory proud.
If you would like more information on the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight then visit their website, links can be found on my website www.danielherrick.com
On there are photographs and videos produced by myself.





Lest we forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment