Translate

Tuesday 4 June 2013

Why Do I Do It?

As part of my project I have been asking you for your reasons for doing and loving sport, so I can use them as inspiration for the storyboard of my film and for excerpts for my book. I have received a few and they are great and tonight I was reminded why I myself love sport so I decided I would share in the hope it would inspire you.

Tonight was my first time in a gym since dislocating my shoulder back in April. I was a little apprehensive as I didn't want to damage it further, but was ready to start working on my fitness and building strength again. I wore my favourite workout shirt, a green Philadelphia Eagles t-shirt bought for me by my cousins one Christmas. I stepped into the gym and began working out and was quickly sweating and feeling the rust fall off. My muscles were aching and I was lifting light weights like 10kg, whilst everyone else was lifting weights far exceeding that. I didn't care, I was back in the gym, I was working out again and it felt great! 
The reason the Eagles t-shirt is my favourite, is because it inspires me and reminds me of my Lincolnshire Bombers team mates and my American Football heroes like Ray Lewis. Seeing that Eagle on my chest makes me think how hard they work and the training they endure to get to the top, to be the best they can be. I will never become a professional sportsmen or get to the top of any sport, but I'm sure as hell going to give it my all and aspire to be the best I can be so I can help my team to win, not for me, but for them! I hope one day I can re-take the field to feel the heat of competition, to fight for my team mate in the trenches and know that if I don't do my job the team suffers and I thrive on that pressure. I hope one day to feel that all again and to help my team to win.
So that's the reason I love playing sport. Why do I love sport? The drama, the passion, the excitement. I love to stand and sing my heart out at football games, shout and cheer as my favourite formula one driver flashes past and be blown away as I watch displays of amazing sporting skill. The noise of a crowd gives me goosebumps and when someone says or sings something against my team, I take it personally, because it's my team and I love them! When an underdog over comes or a Brit triumphs regardless of the sport popular or not, it gives me a lump in my throat and I beam with pride. I love sport and all the pageantry that goes with it!  

Hopefully this inspires you to tell me why you love sport and maybe you could be in my book.

Look forward to hearing from you at whydowedoit@danielherrick.com  

No comments:

Post a Comment